Chicken pot pie can be thought of as the ultimate comfort food, but it can be hard to find a low carb option. But now you can finally eat a flavor filled keto chicken pot pie that your family will love! We learned about this recipe from the Keto Custom Plan Review that we just recently wrote.
Keto Chicken Pot Pie Quick Recipe
A good old fashioned chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food. And now even us keto eaters can enjoy a delicious pot pie with our family and friends! Below is the quick recipe summary with the in-depth recipe down below.
3 hrs 20 Mins
3 hrs 42 Mins
Meal Title: Keto Chicken Pot Pie
Author: Susan Harris
For The Chicken Pot Pie Filling:
- 2 1/2 cups of diced chicken (cooked)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup mixed veggies (could substitute green beans)
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 small onion (diced)
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- pinch thyme
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
For The Chicken Pot Pie Crust:
- 4 1/2 tablespoons of butter melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons full fat sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup mild grated cheese
- 1/3 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp parsley (to sprinkle on top)
- Using a slow cooker, cooked 1 - 1 1/2 pounds of chicken for 3 hours on the high temperature setting.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees while we prepare.
- For 5 minutes, saute the mixed vegetables, onion, salt and pepper, and cloves of garlic.
- After a few minutes, add in the chicken broth, whipping cream, poultry seasoning, rosemary, and thyme.
- Add in the xathan gum but give it 5 minutes to thicken with the lid on so it doesn't get too dry.
- Slowly begin to add the cooked chicken.
- I recommend putting your crust bowl in the refrigerator for 5 - 10 minutes before combining the following: eggs, melted butter, sour cream, and salt.
- Add baking powder as well as coconut flour into the mixture and stir until smoothly combined.
- Evenly add the cheese into the mixture.
- Begin to drop scoops of the batter mixture into the crust. You don't need to spread it out too much or else it will become too dry.
- Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- You can finish it off by setting your oven to broil for the last 2 minutes to give it a nice brown finish. But this isn't a necessary step. You can also add the dried parsley at this point.
Calories - 297 | Carbs - 5.3g | Protein - 11.6g | Fat - 17g | Fiber - 2g
How To Make Keto Chicken Pot Pie
I hope that printable recipe makes it quick and easy for you to prepare your meal, but if you would like a thorough step-by-step walk through then keep reading below.
I love to prepare my chicken in a slow cooker or an Instant Pot as this allows me to prepare it well in advance. A rotisserie chicken can also be used if you prepare that compared to using a slow cooker. We use organic turmeric powder to add a bit more flavor and health benefits to the chicken. If you don't have any, there are plenty of turmeric alternatives.
I prefer to add mixed vegetables to my chicken pot pie because of the added flavor and nutrients, but if you are more strict with the amount of carbs you can change out the vegetables to whatever you prefer.
By combining spices and butter, you can create a beautiful sauce in a short amount of time.
Then we can combine the prepared chicken with the sauce. This is one of my favorite parts!
We can now begin to add the eggs and flour to make the crust of the chicken pot pie. We try to make this part as smooth as possible.
Now our delicious chicken pot pie is beginning to take shape. It is important to gently spread the crust instead of rigorously spreading it like with other pie crusts.
The shredded cheese typically adds a beautiful brown crispness to the dish once it gets close to being completely cooked.
And just like that you have created a beautiful keto chicken pot pie that your friends and family will absolutely love!
For more health and fitness related articles you can take a look at our Home Page.