Almost 2 months ago, I dropped gluten like a hot potato. While I know for a fact that I don’t suffer from Celiac, I was having a recurrence of a lot of GI issues that I’ve had since childhood and decided to give it a try. I figured worst case scenario, I feel no changes and at some point to back go bread in a slow-motion, run through the meadow-type way.
I have been feeling better, though, and since this time around being gluten free (I did it a few years ago for 8 weeks) I am eating meat, it has been MUCH easier. I wasn’t sure how being gluten free would go during Thanksgiving, but it was surprisingly easy. I made my own pie, avoided the stuffing and rolls, and then could pretty much eat everything else! My family has been really accommodating as well which is super helpful.
Last week my 4 year old’s preschool had their annual cookie sale. This is an annual fundraiser that I’ve been a part of for 5 years where each preschool parent bakes 2 types of cookies. I generally try to include at least one gluten free option since the director of the school has celiac, but this year I made both of mine GF. This got me thinking about how easy it actually is nowadays to make and find gluten free treats.
So I thought I’d include 5 of my favorite gluten free holiday recipes!
- Pfeffernusse cookies by Fearless Dining. I made these for the cookie sale and they were SO good. And very easy.
- Pumpkin Pie with a gingersnap crust by Primal Palate. I made this for both Thanksgiving and Friendsgiving and it is BOMB. The gingersnaps make the crust so flavorful and the filling is not overly sweet.
- Pomegranate Waffles by My Recipe Magic. Because a nice holiday brekkie is always a must!
- One Bowl Pumpkin Bread by Minimalist Baker. It’s also vegan and sooo delicious.
- Chocolate Brownie Cookies by Noshtastic. I made these also for the cookie sale, and I honestly think of them more as hot chocolate cookies because they seriously taste like it!
If you’re gluten free or baking for someone who is, I hope this gave you a few ideas! Happy baking!!